HomeAbout UsWedding WebsitePicturesContact

14 May 2012

Mother's Day

Yesterday was Mother's Day, so happy Mother's Day to both Linda Wetsel and Lilly Smith! =) 

Duncan and I also started day one of a 33-day retreat.  We were blessed to discover that the Feast of the Immaculate Heart of Mary is on June 16 this year!  What a wonderful way to enter our marriage!  So we purchased a copy of "33 Days to Morning Glory" by Fr. Michael E. Gaitley, which came recommended by the Regnum Christi group (a lay persons fellowship for Catholics for which I have been a member of since high school) in Atlanta, to help guide us during this "retreat" in preparation for the Marian Consecration on June 16.

You may be wondering why we are doing this, so I will try to briefly explain it.

Ever since coming to the faith in 2007, I have felt a strong connection to Mary.  My confirmation saint is St. Bernadette Soubirous of Lourdes, in which she received several visions of Mary.  My birthday is also on a Marian feast day: Our Lady of Mount Carmel. Duncan's confirmation saint, Padre Pio, was a big advocate for Mary.  Also, the anniversary of our first date, November 21, is the feast of the Presentation of Mary. 

As a woman, I feel as though Mary is a beautiful example for all women for her love, her compassion, her humility, and her faith and trust in Him -- all qualities that I pray for strive to have, especially as I become a wife and eventually a mother.  Duncan and I decided together that we would rather not do a unity candle at the Mass, but that we would do what is called "Flowers to Mary," where we simply honor Our Mother with a flower.  We decided to do this before we even knew about the feast day. 

Upon hearing that the Feast of the Immaculate Heart of Mary is on our wedding date, I just was so elated!  It's been somewhat difficult for Duncan and I to prepare for our marriage between my studies, his work hours, and some unfortunate experiences with the "required" marriage preparation through our parish, so I personally just thought this would be a perfect way to fine tune our focus in the month leading up to our wedding.

And what a coincidence that the first day of the retreat was on Mother's day!  With day one behind us, I think we both have more positive thoughts about "33 Days to Morning Glory" -- I was a little worried about the book being able to "connect" with us, but day one's reading/meditation was something that I think was written just for Duncan -- there was even a Braveheart reference, a favorite movie of his.

So, with all that being said, we also wish a happy Mother's day to Mary -- and just all the mother's in the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...